Book Cheap Flights to South America
South America is alluring. This captivating continent is renowned for its exceptional sights, vibrant cities and Latin flavor permeating every aspect of the culture. You will hear music wherever you travel in South America. In fact, music is an integral part of South American culture. You will soon get familiarized with delightful rhythms like tango, cumbia, salsa and mambo. Moreover, you will also get to hear the world’s two romantic languages – Spanish and Portuguese – wherever you visit in South America.
Get ready to a completely unique travel experience in each of the 13 countries of South America you visit to spend your vacation. Bolivia is the poorest country in this continent, but it is the richest in indigenous cultural traditions. The richer countries of Argentina and Chile are modern, cosmopolitan and almost European. Visiting this diverse continent is therefore a joy of its own. Book cheap flights to South America with FlyOfinder to visit an amazing continent, which is home to beautiful cities, stunning beaches, majestic mountains, wonderful waterfalls, lush rainforests, and remnants of fascinating ancient civilizations!
Top Must-See Attractions
South America abounds in natural beauty. It is home to dramatic landscapes, natural landmarks, Incan ruins and colonial towns. This wonderful continent is renowned for its spectacular white sand beaches and a booming nightlife.
Here are some of the must-see attractions in South America.
- Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia: world’s largest salt flat spanning in nearly 11,000 square kilometres
- Santuario de las Lajas, Colombia: famous Gothic Revival style church
- Lake Titicaca, Peru: experience the Milky Way, also believed to be the birthplace of the Incas
- Cartagena, Colombia: historic colonial city and a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Mount Fitz Roy, Argentina: great favorites with mountaineers and hiking enthusiasts
- Galapagos Islands, Ecuador: an archipelago of volcanic islands famous for huge variety of marine wildlife, snorkelling and diving
- Machu Picchu, Peru: incredible citadel set high in the Andes
- Moai Statues on Easter Island, Chile: mysterious Moai statues dotting the island
- Angel Falls, Venezuela: a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the world’s largest uninterrupted waterfall standing at 979 meters
South America Facts File
South America is an interesting continent in terms of its geographical location. It is situated in the Western Hemisphere. The majority part of this continent is situated in the Southern Hemisphere, while a small part of its northern area is in the Northern Hemisphere. South America is the world's fourth largest continent and covers an area of 6,890,000 square miles. This wonderful continent has been home to early civilizations such as the Aztecs, Incas and the Mayas.
Here are some of the interesting facts you need to know before visiting this huge continent.
- Both South America and North America have been named after an Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci
- The continent of South America borders the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea
- There are 12 countries located in South America. These include Venezuela, Uruguay, Suriname, Peru, Paraguay, Guyana, Ecuador, Columbia, Chile, Brazil, Bolivia and Argentina. There are two territories in South America, including the Falkland Islands (UK) and French Guiana (France)
- South America is of triangle shape. It is because of this reason that there's the least amount of coastline than any continent even though it has a large land area
- The largest cities in South America include Cali, Belo Horizonte, São Paulo, Medellin, Caracas, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Lima, Bogota and Rio de Janeiro
- The world’s highest waterfall named Angel Falls is in South America. It is located in Venezuela
- Amazon River in South America is the largest river in the world by volume
- South America is home to the Amazon Rainforest. It is the world's largest rainforest
- There are three major biomes in South America. These include rainforest, savanna and grassland
- The Andes Mountains, which is the longest mountain range in the world is situated in South America
- Brazil is the largest country in South America covering approximately half of the land area of the continent. This country is also home to half of the continent's population
- The Atacama Desert is the driest place on Earth, is situated in South America
- It is believed that South America and Africa were joined until about 225 million years ago
- South America has some of the most amazing geographical features. These include the Guiana Highlands, the Pantanal wetlands, the Pampas plain, the Brazilian Highlands, the Amazon Basin and Rainforest, and the Andes Mountains
- Anaconda, which is the world's largest snake species, is found in South America