Official Name: República de Honduras or Republic of Honduras
Location: Bordered by Guatemala, Nicaragua, and El Salvador. Shares a vast stretch of coast with the Caribbean Sea in the north, while it also shares a small stretch with the Pacific Ocean on the south
Topography: Made up of highlands, lowlands, coastal plains and mountains
Language: Spansh (official). Indigenous languages include Garifuna, Chortí, Lenca, Mayangna, Miskito, Pech, and Tol
Land Area: 111,890 sq km
Total Area: 112, 0090 sq km or 43,278 square miles
Why Visit Honduras?
Honduras is a Central American country offering the best of both worlds. You will experience the beauty of the Caribbean and the charm of Central America. Look forward to enjoying the warm waters of the Caribbean Sea, majestic and mysterious Mayan ruins, lush jungle landscapes, rugged mountain ranges, gorgeous beaches, and stunning underwater world of the Meso-American barrier reef. Plan an incredible vacation to this second-largest in Central America. Book cheap flights to Honduras from FlyOfinder today and enjoy your fun-filled, thrilling holidays!
Top cities to visit in Honduras
Tegucigalpa: It is the most populated city and also the capital of the country. You will find numerous cultural and leisure activities to do, as well as adventure and nature activities.
Other important cities worth visiting in Honduras include Copan, San Pedro Sula, Tela, La Ceiba and Lempira.
Must-do activities in Honduras
Honduras is a fascinating destination offering natural wonders and fun attractions. Look forward to an exciting getaway with plenty of fun things to do and see.
- Bay Islands Underwater Museum is a museum like no other. It is filled with tropical wildlife and historical artifacts and takes visitors on a journey beneath the warm waters of Roatán
- Explore the eco-friendly and 100% natural 40 acres of Carambola Gardens and see flowering plants, hardwoods, ferns, fruit and nut trees, and many native plants
- Visit Cayos Cochinos islands on the northern shores of Honduras. You will be amazed to see the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, which is a part of the world's second largest coral system. You will also find beaches, scenic jungles and a lighthouse
- Discover a diverse collection of flora and fauna unique to Honduras at the Celaque National Park, which is also home to the country's tallest peak Pico Celaque or Cerro Las Minas
- Explore the archaeological site Copan in western Honduras where you will find Maya civilization ruins. This UNESCO World Heritage Site comprises the remains of palaces, pyramids, several buildings, a central plaza, and a large court. Major attractions include the Acropolis, the Hieroglyphic Stairway, and Monument Plaza
Best Time to Visit Honduras
The months between February and March are the best time for visiting Honduras when the weather is more predictable and warm. However, sudden rains can be expected during the rest of the year. The tourists also find the rainy season great to visit the country when lush tropical rainforests come to life.
Travel Tips for Honduras
Is Honduras your next vacation destination? Then just wait a while and take a look at some of these important travel tips, which are sure to make your vacation and stay in Honduras convenient and hassle free.
- Honduras is quite cheap. There are many restaurants and bars for the tourists, which are cheap compared to North America or Europe
- Before embarking on your travel to Honduras do remember to get all of the required vaccinations
- Some parts of Honduras are vulnerable to malaria. Precautions should be taken to avoid mosquito bites by using mosquito repellent
- Avoid drinking tap water. It’s better to drink bottled water, which are easily available for purchase and at cheaper rates
- Most meals in Honduras usually consist of grilled or stewed meat accompanied by rice and beans, and also fried plantain. Seafood is also commonly available due to easy access to the sea. Many international restaurants can be found in tourist areas like Roatan and Utila
- Tipping is rare in Honduras. However, you should leave a little extra money as a tip when visiting restaurants
- Solo female travelers should avoid wearing revealing clothes, particularly on the mainland, to ward off unwanted hisses and catcalls from local men